September 17, 2013
IBM Cognos ExpressIBM Cognos TM1
Generating a Time Dimension in Performance Modeler
Almost all TM1/Cognos Express applications will require a time dimension, and creating a time dimension has never been easier, with Time Dimension Tool provided in performance modeller.
Here are a few simple steps:
- Start up performance modeller, log onto IBM CX/TM1 Planner Applications (http://<server host>:9300/pmpsvc) and click the performance modeller icon on the top right corner , then select a TM1 server instance.
- In Model Design pane, right-click on a folder where you want to create your time dimension, select New, then Dimension. Enter a dimension name, e.g. Months, and select Time as dimension type.
- A dimension editor tab will open on the main pane, click the Time Dimension Tool icon on the toolbar.
This is where it gets interesting.
- Click Period Level, here you can choose the required dimension levels, whether to include years, quarters, months and weeks. Each level has options on how you can organise the hierarchy of your time dimension, and choices available depend on the selection you made for years. Brief explanations for each period level option at tips field.
Below is a table showing the different hierarchy path:
Calendar year path
Lunar year path
- Force month to the end of calendar end date: Yes/No
- 444 weeks
- 454 weeks
- 544 weeks
- 445 weeks
- Fore month to the end of calendar end date: No
- Include in first month
- Include in second month
- Include in month contains biggest part
- Split between the two months
- Click Duration, specify the start and end date range of your time dimension.
Note when using the date selector to specify start date and end date, select the date before your intended date. For example, if you want your start date to be 1-Jul-2012, select 30-Jun-2012, and 1-Jul-2012 will appear as start date. Alternative, is to enter it manually, but need to enter in the exact format as presented, e.g. Jul 01, 2012, otherwise it can not be recognised.
- Click Member Names, here you can specify the format of each member level, and prefix and suffix.
For weeks level, you can choose its member name as start date of the week, end date of the week, week number. The wizard also allows you to specify the date format at week level. If a date format option is not available, you can over-type with a customised format, unlike the format dropdown option.
- Press ok.
The advantage of this tool is, not only creates the time dimension hierarchy, but also inserts the standard handy time dimension attributes, such as:
Start date, end date, last period, first period, previous period and next period.
These attributes are very handy for rule calculations and/or turbo integrator processes.
This Time Dimension Tool is very easy to use, only a few simple steps. No need for complex turbo integrator processes. Of course, TI processes definitely has many advantages, that's ultra flexible and adaptable to any business' needs.
DimensionDimension EditorHierarchiesIBM Cognos ExpressIBM Cognos TM1Performance Modeler